Weaving into the Future
FRTAB, in collaboration with the Geiger Family Foundation, is proud to support Weaving Into the Future, a training program designed to support Bhutan’s weaving culture, highlighting the regional weaves, traditional dyes, materials, and yarns of these textiles.
Since the 15th century, the art of Bhutanese weaving has been passed down from mother to daughter, resulting in weaves faithful to the tradition of the region and the individuality of the weaver.
Bhutanese weaving is a highly intricate art form encompassing skills from dyeing to warp preparation to techniques geared to specific looms, as well as a valuable cottage industry to women weavers.
Weaving for the Future is dedicated to creating an infrastructure to help systematize weaving in the following areas:
- Acquisition of weaves and textiles
- Purchase and distribution of yarns through village yarn and dye banks, and related supplies
- Product development and design bank creation
- Acquiring winning textile pieces from the Annual National Design and Arts Competition (NDAC)
- Dye and weaving trainings
- Establishment of Lifetime Award Program in regional communities
- Outreach beyond Thimphu into outmost regions